ACTIVITIES DETAILED LIST
Maths Quiz Night / Wednesday 5th August, 2020
A fun night for teams of 4 students in Years 7-12, with quiz questions in both Mathematical and General Knowledge sections in the age sections - Junior is years 7 and 8, Intermediate years 9 and 10, Senior Years 11 and 12. The event is held in numerous locations, at both metropolitan and country venues. This is a very popular and enjoyable evening.
The Hamann School Mathematics Competition for Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) Prizes
The aim of the competition held is to encourage interested and motivated students to enjoy the challenge of non-standard problems. There are four divisions: Primary up to Yr6) Junior (Yr 7/8), Intermediate(Yr 9/10) and Senior (Yr11/12). Full Details
National Mathematics Summer School
NMSS is a two week residential school held each January at the Australian National University for mathematically gifted and talented senior high school students. We encourage schools to promote female involvement.
Next event 10 - 23 January 2021Application Form(click here)
Project Based Competitions (JSMEP and SAMTQ)
MASA offers a number of competitions based on student projects:
The Junior Secondary Mathematics Enrichment Project/South Australian Mathematics Talent Quest (JSMEP/SAMTQ) are competitions run annually aimed at promoting interest in mathematics and fostering positive attitudes. The focus of the JSMEP/SAMTQ are on using mathematics to investigation a topic of interest to the student/s.
Involvement in the Junior Secondary Mathematics Enrichment Project/South Australian Mathematics Talent Quest is a great way to support student’s mathematics development as they engage in mathematical investigations.
In 2020 we have implemented changes to ensure students can still be involved in JSMEP/SAMTQ while following the COVID-19 guidelines.
Schools involved this year should note that:
South Australian Mathematics Talent Quest (SAMTQ) Primary Division Years R-7 More Details
- Entry is free and open to individuals, small groups (up to 5 students) or classes from R – 12.
- There will be a limit of two entries, per category, per year level per school.
- Schools will need to complete a registration form and submit it to MASA by Friday 3 July 2020.
- All JSMEP/SAMTQ entries must be digital and sent to The Mathematical Association of South Australia by Friday 21 August 2020 before 5pm.
- Schools will be notified of the results and if their entries have been selected to be sent to Mathematical Association of Western Australia for National Judging.
- To recognise all of the students involved, MASA will provide participating schools with Achievement Certificates (Participation, Credit and Distinction) templates.
Junior Secondary Mathematics Enrichment Project (JSMEP) Years 8-10 (supported by DECD) More Details
South Australian Mathematics Talent Quest (SAMTQ) Senior Division Years 11-12 More Details
The best of these entries will then be entered into the (NMTQ) National Maths Talent Quest organised by the Australian Association of Mathematics Teachers.
Saturday Morning Mathematics Sessions for 2020 held at the University of Adelaide
Students in years 7 to 11 who are interested in developing their problem-solving skills in mathematics beyond the school curriculum are encouraged to attend. More details